I’ve never been one for making resolutions, but I do like to set goals each year — primarily, I focus on a few categories of goals I’d like to make:
- Exercise: I use MapMyRun to track my exercise goals and am happy to say that I’ve met them the last two years in a row! This year, I’m sticking to more of the same — 3 cardio workouts a week; at least two of those will have weights and I’d like to get back to the yoga studio at least twice a month, but will practice at home 1-2x a week, even if it’s for 10 minutes. That’s at least four workouts a week, which seems doable. Ultimately, I’d like to work back up to six, but I’m setting reasonable expectations, especially knowing how much rebuilding of strength I’ll need to do.
- Diet: Eat a little cleaner. I am pretty good with my diet for the most part — it doesn’t feel restrictive and that’s exactly what I need. We usually kick the year off with the Whole30 but sickness has kept me from it so far this year. I will try to be more deliberate about the 80/20 rule. I think we were pretty much on top of things until August when our kitchen needed renovated and we had to eat take-out/delivery A LOT. It was pretty terrible and while I didn’t gain weight, I did gain a healthy dose of laziness in the kitchen. I need to get back to making my healthy smoothies, daily eggs, and actual lunches.
- Technology: I’d like to be on my phone less. So, I want to start reading before bed, which is when I typically check my social media. I may erase social media apps from my phone for a bit so that I’m not tempted and just use technology when I’m on my laptop.
- Reading: I’d like to read for 10-15 minutes a night before bed while my husband gets ready. The kids read for 20 minutes a day (at least) and 3 is read to at least that long at nap and bed times. I figured I needed to be more deliberate about setting time aside myself.
- Writing: I love to write — I mean, it’s what I studied in undergrad — and it’s something that falls by the wayside year in and year out. I’d like to set aside at least 30 minutes a week to write, which I think is a reasonable amount of time.
So, those are my goals for 2019 — do you have any set goals?